Cater Hero

iTunes Syncing Woes

March 15th 2012

So I haven’t sync'ed my iPad/iPhone to my mac since December because every time I plugged it in I’d get the BBOD (beach ball of death). Tonight I finally had it and went into detective mode. Hopefully this post will serve as a guide to those lost in the dark as I was for more than 3 months.

Basically it boils down to some sort of corruption in the “SyncServices” database. I couldn’t find ANYTHING online that helped me figure this out, except for this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2132675?start=0&tstart=0. WillGonz figured it out, you need to delete the /Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local cache. Great. One problem, that thread is from 2009 and things have moved, I don’t have a /User/Lank/Library directory (visible to me at least - thanks apple).

Luckily I’m a |337 haxor and located all the directories on my toqutor (tim & eric’s billion dollar movie reference anyone? no? … ?) that were named SyncServices. This little command does the trick: sudo find / -type d -name “SyncServices” 2> /dev/null. This lead me to a handful of directories, the last one being closest to the one in the forum thread. After cd'ing there, I moved the Local directory out to a safe place, plugged in my iPad and bingo - syncing again just like the good old days.

Now for a little back track and SEO magic for those out there with the same problem. The way I figured out this had to do with SyncServices is I opened Activity Monitor, started iTunes, and sorted everything by PID. After it seemed like no more processes were popping in and out of existence, I plugged my iPad in and watched what got fired up. I noticed a child process of iTunes named AppleMobileDeviceHelper. After inspecting what files it was touching, I saw one was a log file, oh joy! It was located at /Users/Lank/Library/Logs/Sync/syncservices.log; and with a tail -f {log file} it then showed me this glorious error:

2012-03-15 22:19:41:755|SyncServer|4299|0x109316e60|Logging|Info| Logging initialized, engine version 673.3 : log level 3 2012-03-15 22:19:41:836|SyncServer|4299|0x109316e60|SQLite|Error| Detected out-of-space situation: 0 (Undefined error: 0). 434877399040 bytes free in Lank. 2012-03-15 22:19:42:863|SystemUIServer|3191|0x7f9230ccfd00|Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply 2012-03-15 22:19:42:878|AppleMobileDeviceHelper|3299|0x3114d0|Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply because a mach port died 2012-03-15 22:19:42:930|Dock|3189|0x7fb1db4d4310|Mingler|Error| failed to connect to the server: NSInvalidReceivePortException connection went invalid while waiting for a reply

After a little google-fu I found the forum thread and went to work in the terminal to reach the magically hidden /User/Lank/Library directory. All said and done it was a pretty easy fix, I just figured a software update would fix the issue but after a few new iTunes update and 5.1 release of iOS, I got fed up. Hope this helps someone!

blog comments powered by Disqus